Unit 1 - Test Generator


LASER B2 Unit 1 Test Generator
1.01. Complete each sentence with one word.

1 I don’t know what to do on Friday, so we should sort something _______________.
2 Just because you’re in a bad mood, you shouldn’t take it out _______________ me.
3 Something has come _______________ at the last minute and they have to cancel the dinner party.
4 Thanks for that advice. You saved me _________ making a terrible mistake.
5 You can’t prevent me _______________ marrying him! I love him!
6 Most people believe _______________ the power of love.
7 My school does not approve ________ teachers hitting children.
8 It’s not a great meal – it’s just something I put _______________ with what I could find in the kitchen.
9 He says he doesn’t want to get in the way ______ her happiness.
10 They look so happy together I don’t think they will ever split ____.

1.02 Complete the text using the correct form of the words in bold.

For some women, the most important day in their life is their wedding day. The bride wants everything to go (1) _______________ (PERFECT). All her
(2) _______________ (RELATE) will be there to help her start her new life. She has personally chosen the flowers, the dresses and the food and even the
(3) _______________ (ENTERTAIN) for the party afterwards. Nothing must go wrong. On the other hand, a lot of men find the idea of getting married absolutely (4) _______________ (TERROR), for a (5) _______________ (VARY) of reasons. Perhaps men fail to see (6) _______________ (MARRY) as the chance to spend the rest of your life with someone you love, even when the alternative could be a life of (7) _______________ (LONELY). There is an
(8) _______________ (ARGUE) that men see it as the end of something rather than the beginning. But then, men have a different attitude towards the idea of
(9) _______________ (FRIEND), too. But as the old (10) _______________ (SAY) goes, you’ll never know until you try it.

1.03 Circle the correct answer (A, B or C).

What are your friends like? Do you have a lot of different friends or are they all very (1) ________? Recent research has shown that most people have friends who (2) ________ quite a lot from each other. But why is this true? Scientists believe that having only one kind of friend can lead to (3) ________ with the relationship. If you have the same sort of (4) ________ as your best friend, the theory goes, then sooner or later the lack of variety can get (5) ________. This forms the basis of the theory of variety in friendship, the (6) ________ of Professor Prokofiev at the Institute of Research in Vienna. She writes in her book that people naturally try to find friends who are compatible with their own personalities. This means, understandably, that people surround themselves with friends who, they feel, will not (7) ________ them. It’s a way of feeling stronger and more secure, says Professor Prokofiev. But the danger is that (8) ________ friends, who understand you, are doing exactly the same as you – looking for reassurance – and this is eventually a recipe for failure.

1 A usual                      B similar           C same
2 A differ                      B different        C difference
3 A perfection               B criticism        C problems
4 A personality              B person          C personal
5 A bored                     B boring           C boredom
6 A brainchild                B frustration      C issue
7 A disapprove              B betray           C trust
8 A sympathetic             B childish         C traumatic

1.04 Circle the correct words.

1 Most parents would love to bring their children up / out in the country.
2 I am upset because Larry promised to help but he let me go / down.
3 When we go away on holiday, our neighbours look at / after our pets for us.
4 How do you put up with / on all that noise from next door?
5 With the same blue eyes and blond hair, Martin takes on / after his father.
6 You can’t go through / on life just hoping for the best.
7 The best place to grow over / up is the place you feel most loved.
8 When you are older, you must be responsible for / from your own actions.
9 On Sundays, after lunch, we all help Mum with the washing up / off.
10 I don’t have much to complain for / about – my life is great!

1.05 Complete with the following words.

attractive          typical              rebellious
nervous polite                sincere
famous hurtful               specific            hard-working

1 The Brownings are a very _______________ family of artists who live in our town. They are known all over the world.
2 That’s just _______________ of you! You always forget my birthday!
3 She has a nice face but she doesn’t have a very _______________ personality.
4 He is a very _______________ child – his parents can’t really control him.
5 Please be more _______________. I can’t understand exactly what you mean.
6 He’s a _______________ student – always in the library with his nose in a book.
7 How could you say such a ____________ thing to your sister!
8 I believe him and I trust him because he always seems so _______________.
9 You should always be _______________ to your grandparents and show a lot of respect for them.
10 He was really _______________ at the wedding because he had to make a speech in front of everyone.

1.06 Circle the correct answer (A, B or C).

1 The air conditioner is broken. Shall we call the ________?
A) technician
B) rebel
C) workshop

2 The mother traditionally plays an important ________ in the family.
A) icon
B) role
C) variety

3 That sort of ________ is the reason why nobody likes you.
A) problem
B) kindness
C) attitude

4 They got ________ but split up a month before the wedding.
A) excited
B) engaged
C) married

5 I felt a growing sense of ________ as the years went by and success didn’t come.
A) adventure
B) personality
C) disappointment

6 Do you find it ________ when people talk too loudly on their mobile telephones?
A) annoying
B) simple
C) balanced

7 Everyone thinks he is a wonderful person. He is highly ________ in this town.
A) minor
B) respected
C) enjoyed

8 My parents always ________ me when my sister and I argue.
A) further
B) express
C) blame

9 His natural ________ to others is one of his best characteristics.
A) kindness
B) attitude
C) relation

10 She isn’t a famous or important actress so she just has a ________ role in the film.
A) simple
B) minor
C) adored

1.07 Complete with the following the verbs in the correct form.

 live      send                 forget               come               tease   
go        love                  express have                 take

1 He _______________ his feelings by buying his mother flowers on her birthday every year.
2 I _______________ my pen-friend a letter every week.
3 I always _______________ to the shops on a Saturday.
4 Don’t you think that Alan _______________ after his father?
5 I _______________ a very nice time, but unfortunately, now I have to leave.
6 Do you know what I _______________ about you the most?
7 When I _______________ my sister, she got really upset.
8 I wanted to come to your party last night but something _______________ up at the last minute.
9 I’m really sorry about your birthday – I completely _______________.
10 By the time he was 28, Gerald _______________ in three different countries.

1.08 Complete with the verbs in the correct form.
1 ______ (you / send) your grandmother a thank-you letter yet?
2 When I went to Italy, it was the first time I _______________ (eat) Italian food.
3 It’s after eight o’clock, and John still _________ (not turn up).
4 Oh no! I think I _______ (make) a mistake. Can you help me?
5 I ______________ (go) to Spain on holiday last year.
6 Before I visited the coast, I ___________ (never see) the sea.
7 I think this is the worst meal I _______________ (ever have)! I’m not coming here again.
8 I ______ (fancy) something sweet, so I went to the cake shop.
9 This is my friend Sol. I _______ (know) him since my schooldays.
10 A good friend is someone who never _________ (let) you down.

1.09 Circle the correct words.
I (1) was brought / had brought up in a small town in the country. I (2) have grown / grew up there and never (3) thinking / thought that I would leave. When I (4) am / was twelve years old, my parents (5) took / went me to the city for the first time. I (6) have / had never left my little town before, and it was the furthest I (7) had been / had went in my life. Everything (8) was feeling / felt so strange. Nowadays, I (9) don’t think / haven’t thought the city is such a strange place, because I (10) have lived / am living here for the last ten years.

1.10 Complete with the verbs in the correct present simple or past simple form.

1 She _______________ (live) in a beautiful little house near the city centre for many years.
2 I _______________ (see) what you mean but I don’t agree.
3 The tall boy at the back is my cousin but I _______________ (not know) the boy at the front.
4 What time _______________ (you / meet) your friends last night?
5 I listened carefully but his words _______________ (not make) any sense.
6 I can’t understand what he’s saying – _______________ (you / speak) his language?
7 If I need help with my French homework I ask Martin, because he _______________ (speak) French really well.
8 I can never call my friends because my sister _______________ (chat) to her boyfriend on the phone for hours.
9 We _______________ (have) a party on Saturday. Why didn’t you come?
10 _______________ (you / go) to the cinema every week?

1.11 Circle the correct words.

1 How long have / had you lived in this beautiful house?
2 Did / Have you see that film on TV last night?
3 What time does / has the train get in?
4 Oh no, I have / had forgotten where I put my glasses. Can you see them?
5 I have / had never heard any jazz before I went to that club.
6 ‘Do you like that hamburger?’ ‘I love / loved it!’
7 When we arrived at the airport, the check-in desk had / has closed.
8 Were / Have you ever visited your grandparents in Cedar Rapids?
9 Why does / is he tease his dog so much?
10 When the lesson finished, I realised I didn’t / hadn’t understood anything.

Популярні дописи з цього блогу

Special Introductory Verbs

Focus 3. Unit 6. Resources 31-36

Listening: Friends