Special Introductory Verbs


Introductory verb
Direct Speech
Reported Speech
agree + to-inf
Tes, I'll be happy to help you,"
• He agreed to help me.
demand
"Tell the truth!"
• He demanded to be fold the truth.
offer
"Would you like me to open the door?"
He offered to open the door.
promise
"I'll definitely be here early."
• He promised to be there early.
refuse
"Wo, / won't lend you any money.'
• He refused to lend me any money.
threaten
"Hand over your money or I'll shoot you."
• He threatened to shoot me it I didn't hand over my money.
claim
"I saw him steal the car."
He claimed to have seen him steal the car.
advise + sb + to-inf
you should see a doctor.
He advised me to see a doctor.
allow
'you can borrow my car *
He allowed me to borrow fits car.
ask
"Please, turn the light off.
He asked me to turn the light off.
beg
"Please, please stop shouting so loudly.
He begged me to stop shouting so loudly.
command
"Leave the room!"
He commanded us to leave the room.
encourage
"Go ahead, drive the car."
He encouraged me to drive the car.
forbid
you must not arrive late tonight.9
He forbade me to arrive late that night.
instruct
"Lift the receiver and wait for the dialling tone.
He instructed me to lift the receiver and wart for the dialling tone.
invite sb
"Would you like to come out to dinner with me?"
He invited me to go out to dinner with him.
order
"Close the door immediately.9
He ordered me to close the door immediately.
permit
'you may leave now.9
He permitted/allowed me to leave then.
remind
"Don't forget to water the plants."
He reminded me to water the plants.
urge
"Try to be punctual."
He urged me to try to be punctual.
warn
"Don I go near the edge of the cliff.9
He warned me not to go near the edge of the cliff.
want
Td like you to study harder."
He wanted me to study harder.
accuse sb of + -ing form
You stole my handbag”
She accused me of stealing her handbag.
apologise for
"I'm sorry I was rude to you."
He apologised for being rude to me.
admit (to)
"Ves, / broke the window. *
He admitted (to) breaking/having broken the window.
boast about
"I'm more intelligent than you. "
He boasted about being more intelligent than me.
complain to sb about
"You always leave the door open.
He complained to me about my always leaving the door open.
deny
"No, I didn’t break the window.'
He denied breaking/having broken the window.
insist on
"You must take all the medicine.'
He insisted on me/my taking all the medicine.
suggest
"Let's go out for a walk."
He suggested going out for a walk.
agree + that-clause
"Yes. It’s a great idea."
He agreed that it was a great idea.
boast
"I'm the best player of all. "
He boasted that he was the best player of all.
claim
"I know who stole your car."
He claimed that he knew who had stolen my car.
complain
"You never help me.”
She complained that he never helped her.
deny
"I never touched the vase?"
He denied that he had ever touched the vase.
exclaim
"It's a success!"
He exclaimed that it was a success.
explain
"It's a difficult theory to follow."
He explained that it was a difficult theory to follow.
inform sb
"Your application is under review.
He informed me that my application was under review.
promise
"I won't forget again.”
He promised that he wouldn't forget again.
suggest
"You ought to help her out."
He suggested that I help her out.
explain to sb + how
"That's how I crashed the car."
He explained to me how he had crashed the car.
wonder where/what why /how + clause (when the subject of the introductory verb is not the same as the subject in the reported question)
He asked himself, "How can she do that?"
He asked himself, "Where have they gone?'
He asked himself, "Why is Tom so rude?' He asked himself, "Mat will they do?"
He wondered how she could do that.
He wondered where they had gone.
He wondered why Tom was so rude.
He wondered what they would do.
wonder + whether + to-inl or clause wonder where/what/  how + to-inf (when the subject of the infinitive is the same as the subject of the verb)
He asked himself, "Shall I take the job?"
He asked himself, "Where did I leave my glasses?"
He asked himself, 'What shall I do next?"
He asked himself, "How can I break the news?'
He wondered whether to take the job.
He wondered where he had left his glasses
He wondered what to do next.
He wondered how to break the news.


Ex. A. First write an appropriate introductory verb, than report the following sentences.
1.      "You took my bag, didn't you?"
accuse
She accused me of taking her bag.
2.      "I'll bring my homework tomorrow."


3.      "Get out of the room now!"


4.      "The train leaves at 6 o'clock."


5.      "Don't forget to make a dental appointment."


6.      "Please, please help me!"


7.      "You must give us a call when you get back!"


8.      "I won't help you."


9.      "Would you like to go out with us?"


10.    "If you do that again. I'll punish you."


11.    "I didn't break the vase!"


12.    "Will the rain ever stop?"


13.    "First turn this knob, then flick the switch."


14.    "Yes, you're right."


15.    "What about going for a walk?"
H/W. Ex. 2.


16.    "You should go on a diet."


17.    "You mustn't touch the camera."


18.    "Don't cross the road without looking both ways."


19.    "Would you like me to water your plants?"


20.    "Yes, it was me who broke the teapot."


21.    "It is a difficult situation, you see."


22.    "I met the Queen once, you know."


23.    "You always leave the bathroom in a mess!"


24.    "You may use the fax machine whenever you want."


25.    "You must stay until 5 o'clock every day!"


26.    "Give me the money!"


27.    "I crossed the Atlantic single-handed."


28.    'You may call me by my first name."


29.    "Please, empty all the ashtrays before you leave the room."


30.    "Cease fire!"


31.    "Go on. Tell us what's on your mind."


32.    "I'd like you to cook dinner tonight."


33.    'I'm sorry I spoilt the surprise party."


34.    "Sure, I'd be glad to lend a hand."


35.    "I'll never let you down again."


Популярні дописи з цього блогу

Focus 3. Unit 6. Resources 31-36

Listening: Friends