COUNTABLE AND UNCOUNTABLE NOUNS

 1. Ex I. Underline the most suitable word in each sentence.

     1 Different countries have different weather / weathers.

2 All areas of the skin are in fact covered in tiny hair / hairs.

3 We’ve looked at the menu and we’d all like chicken / chickens.

4 Jack is a millionaire and owns a lot of business / businesses.

5 Have you got a copy of the complete work / works of Dante?

6 None of the passengers had insured their baggage / baggages.

7 Students must pass their paper / papers to the front.

8 I’m afraid we can’t find cheap accommodation / accommodations for all of you.

 

2 Complete each sentence with a/an, some or by leaving the space blank.



1 When the play ended, there was — lengthy applause.

2 I can’t come out tonight. I have.................... homework to do.

3 Sue received......................................... excellent education.

4 The inside is strengthened with........................ steel frame.

5 My friends bought me............... coffee maker for my birthday.

6 David has just bought......................................... new furniture.

7 Let me give you................................ advice.

8 My trousers need pressing. Can you lend me.................... iron?

 

3 Underline the most suitable word in each sentence.

1 I would love to go on a long journey / travel by train.

2 What’s the latest news? Can I look at your paper / journal?

3 Here’s your ticket. Do you have any luggage / suitcase?

4 Don’t forget to buy a sliced bread / loaf.

5 Why don’t we leave the car in this car park / parking.

6 I can’t come to work today. I have a bad cold /flu.

7 Excuse me sir, but do you have a licence / permission for this gun?

8 Brighton has quite a good beach / seaside.

 

4 Put one suitable word in each space.



1 I’m looking for accomodation . Do you know anywhere I can stay?

2 Take my.................................................., don’t go out alone after dark.

3 The government plans to improve............................................ by paying teachers more.

4 Can you lend me some...........................................? I want to print out a letter.

5 I need some............................................... about language schools. Can you help me?

6 Richard is unemployed, and he is looking for a.............................................................

7 Could I have some.................................... ? Those apples and oranges look nice.

8 I used to have long............................................, but I had it cut.

9 I can’t do this on my own. Could you give me some................................................... ?

10 If you can’t undo the knot, cut the string with some..........................................


5 Complete each sentence with the most suitable word or phrase.



1 I like your new trousers. Where did you buy B ?

A it В them С them both D them all

2 There is always a very large...................... at the church I go to.

A congregation В audience С spectator D company

3 The local.......................... has agreed to repair the road outside our house.

A government В people С council D jury

4 When the police arrived, we were pleased to see..................................

A him В him or her, С it D them

5 The car turned over, but luckily it didn’t suffer serious..................................................

A damage В injury С damages D injuries

6 Sorry, I’m late, but I had a lot of..................... to do.

A job В work С task D labour

7 Julie bought herself a complete new................ for winter.

A outfit В cloth С clothing D wear

8 I feel like going out tonight. Let’s go to a / an.....................

A dancing В night С club D entertainment

9 Thanks for a great weekend! We really had a / an............................

A fun В enjoyment С hospitality D good time

10 In order to prove Smith is guilty, we must find some........................................

A information В evidence С knowledge D means

 

6 Choose the most appropriate meaning for each sentence.  


1 You mustn’t lose heart.

a) Don’t have an operation. (b) Don’t give up hope.

2 Where’s my glass?

a) I want a drink, b) I can’t see.

3 Jack has a new post.

a) The postman has delivered a letter, b) He has a different job.

4 All goods must be paid for in advance.

a) Nothing enjoyable in life is free, b) You have to pay for these things first.

5 I’ve joined a new company.

a) I have a new job. b) I have some new friends.

6 This hotel has class.

a) You can study hotel management here, b) It is a good quality hotel.

7 I don’t have the means to help you.

a) I’m not able to help, b) I can’t understand what help you need.

8 I’d like some china.

a) I want to go abroad, b) I need some cups and plates.

9 Do you have any cash?

a) Do you need to pay by card? b) Isn’t there a place to pay in this shop?

10 They have a business in Leeds. a) They have to go there to do a job. b) They own a company there.



7 Complete the second sentence so that it has a similar meaning to the first sentence, using the word given. Do not change the word given. You must use between two and five words, including the word given.

          1 This island has a large population, 

people 

There are a lot of people on this island.

2 Do you own these things?

your

Are...............................................belongings?

3 The weather was good on our holiday,

had

We................................................................................................................. on our holiday.

4 There were a lot of cars on the road to Manchester,

traffic

There....................................................................................... on the road to Manchester.

5 Gerry is a very strong person, in my opinion,

strength

Gerry.............................................................................................................. in my opinion.

6 There are pieces of paper all over the floor!

litter

There............................................................... all over the floor.

7 Can I park my car here?

allowed

Is......................................................................................................................here?

8 I know these machines are very expensive,

machinery

I know............................................................................................................ very expensive.



8 Complete each sentence with a suitable word from the box.

flight item piece sheet clap head set slice


1 Let me give you a piece of advice.

2 There is an interesting........................... of news in the paper.

3 A......................... of stairs takes you to the top of the house.

4 Could I have another......................... of paper, please?

5 Helen has a lovely.......................... of hair.

6 Do you want another......................... of toast?

7 We bought Mike and Lynn a....................... of cutlery for a

8 The lightning was followed by a........................ of thunder.



9 Complete each sentence with a suitable word from the box.

accommodation bread cookery lightning spelling

cash information luggage parking advice



1 I can’t cut this loaf. Do you have a proper bread knife?

2 I’m afraid that ‘neice’ is a.................... mistake.

3 There’s usually a / an........................ space opposite the cinema.

4 We need a / an............................... box to keep the money in.

5 The tourist board have built a / an.............................. centre near the castle.

6 We decided to put a / an............................. conductor on the roof.

7 Marjorie used to write a / an........................... column in a magazine.

8 These suitcases are very heavy. We must find a / an......................................trolley.

9 I must rush. I’m going to a / an............................ lesson.

10 Julie found her flat through a / an................................... agency.


KEYS:

1 1 weather. 2 hairs. 3 chicken. 4 businesses. 5 works. 6 baggage. 7 papers.

8 accommodation.

2 1 blank. 2 some/ blank. 3 an. 4 a. 5 a. 6 some. 7 some. 8 an.

3 1 journey. 2 paper. 3 luggage. 4 loaf. 5 park. 6 cold. 7 licence. 8 beach.

4 1 accommodation. 2 advice. 3 education. 4 paper. 5 information/ advice. 6 job.

7 fruit. 8 hair. 9 help. 10 scissors.

5 1 B. 2 A. 3 C. 4 D. 5 A. 6 B. 7 A. 8 C. 9 D. 10 B.

6 1 b. 2 a. 3 b. 4 b. 5 a. 6 b. 7 a. 8 b. 9 a. 10 b.

7 1 are a lot of people. 2 there your. 3 had good weather. 4 was a lot of/ lost of traffic. 5 has great strength. 6 is litter. 7 parking allowed. 8 this machinery is.

8 1 piece. 2 item. 3 flight. 4 sheet. 5 head. 6 slice. 7 set. 8 clap.

9 1 bread. 2 spelling. 3 parking. 4 cash. 5 information. 6 lightning. 7 advice.

8 luggage. 9 cookery. 10 accommodation.

Коментарі

Популярні дописи з цього блогу

Focus 3. Unit 7. Resources 37-42

Special Introductory Verbs

Focus 3. Unit 8. Resources 43-48