Focus 3. Unit 1. Resources 1 - 6

Resource 1 : What are they wearing?


1.1 Vocabulary (clothes and accessories)

Student A













Student B




Resource 2:  Facebook profile photos


1.1 Vocabulary (personality adjectives)

Did you know that you reveal something about your personality each time you choose a new profile photo? Here are some of the most common photos and what they say about you.

The pretty portrait 
Girls often take photos of themselves. They do their hair, put their make-up on, look straight into the camera and ‘click’.

What it means: Look at me – I’m 1____________ (RESUOOGG), fascinating and 2____________ (EHYCKE)!

The strange close-up 
You can just see one eye or a mouth or part of the face from an unusual angle.

What it means: Hey, I’m 3____________ (EVAETIRC) and imaginative, but I’m also cool, sophisticated and 4____________ (YTISLSH).

The party shot
A group of friends at a party, laughing with their arms in the air.

What it means: I’m 5____________ (MGNCAHRI). I’m really 6____________ (APPUOLR),
I’m one of the gang!

Doing something interesting
You’re mountain climbing, scuba diving, bungee jumping or riding a camel in the desert.
What it means: I’m 7____________ (AMNCIYD) and 8____________ (USOVAEDTNUR) and I like taking risks.

You as baby
You’re in your late teens, but you post a cute photo of yourself as a baby.
What it means: Look, I used to be cute and adorable, and I still am! And maybe I’m a bit 9__________ (AMTRUIME) and 10____________ (HILCHSDI) and I don’t want to grow up.



Resource 3: Busy people





Resource 4: Test yourself pairwork activities


Student A
Vocabulary (Lesson 1.1)

1a Complete the words in the sentences. The first letter of each word is given.

1 When we saw John, he was wearing a black s__ __ __ with a waistcoat.
2 I’m looking for a cheap, c__ __ __ __ __ top that I could put on under my sweater.
3 These t__ __ __ __ __ are very thick, so I’m not cold even though I’m wearing a short dress.
4 My mum bought these sunglasses some twenty years ago – they’re v__ __ __ __ __ __ now.
5 I like your baseball c__ __ . Where did you buy it?

Student B answers
1 tie
2 silver
3 hiking
4 woollen
5 sweatshirt

2a Match the adjectives with their synonyms.
1 very nice a adventurous
2 brave b sophisticated
3 stylish c charming
4 childish d cute
5 good-looking e immature

Student B answers
1 adorable
2 elegant
3 mischievous
4 imaginative
5 gorgeous

Grammar (Lesson 1.2)

3a Complete the sentences with the correct Present Simple or Present Continuous form of the verbs in brackets. Use short forms.
1 (Helen/need) to go to city centre now?
2 I (never/send) text messages to my mum.
3 Can you call in fifteen minutes? I (have) lunch right now.
4 Paul and Mike are in the shopping centre but they (not shop) for clothes today.
5 What (you/think) of their new video clip?
6 I really (hate) when my sister borrows my clothes.

Student B answers
1 don’t believe
2 look
3 are you thinking
4 Do your parents want
5 sells
6 ’s doing

Student B

Vocabulary (Lesson 1.1)

1b Complete the words in the sentences. The first letter of each word is given.

1 I’m not sure if this t__ __ matches the shirt I’m going to wear.
2 This s__ __ __ __ __ ring is very nice and it wasn’t very expensive.
3 You’ll need a new pair of h__ __ __ __ __ boots before you go on holiday to the mountains.
4 Jane only recognised him when he took off his scarf and his w__ __ __ __ __ __ hat.
5 I always put a s__ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ on when I get home from school – it’s very comfortable.

Student A answers
1 suit
2 cotton
3 tights
4 vintage
5 cap

2b Match the adjectives with their synonyms.
1 very nice a elegant
2 stylish b imaginative
3 cheeky c gorgeous
4 creative d mischievous
5 good-looking e adorable

Student A answers
1 charming
2 adventurous
3 sophisticated
4 immature
5 cute

Grammar (Lesson 1.2)

3b Complete the sentences with the correct Present Simple or Present Continuous form of the verbs in brackets. Use short forms.
1 I (not believe) anything George is saying!
2 You should wear a suit more often – you (look) very handsome.
3 What (you/think) about?
4 (your parents/want) you to go on holiday with them this year?
5 The shop near my school (sell) the best cakes in the world.
6 Gary has put on some old clothes because he (do) the housework tonight.

Student A answers
1 Does Helen need
2 never send
3 ’m having
4 aren’t shopping
5 do you think
6 hate

Resource 5: How do I look?


Focus review 1, Speaking


medium height
in the background 
is commenting
on the right
a lot in common
their late teens
shows
get on well
matches
imagine
hair

The picture 1 ..... two girls, probably sisters or close friends. They are in a clothes shop because 2.....  I can see tops and skirts, probably in different colours. One of the girls is holding up a 3.....  dress and the other one 4.....  on it. They are laughing, so it looks 5.....  they are having a great time together. They are both in 6.....  or early twenties and they’ve got long 7.....  . They are also 8.....  and slim. 
I 9.....  both are pretty dynamic and outgoing. I think they 10.....  with each other and have 11.....  . The girl 12.....  is wearing a simple cotton sleeveless dress. It definitely 13.....  her long straight hair.


Resource 6: In vogue


Focus review 1, Writing

Describing hobbies and interests

• be i__t__ sth
• f__ __c__ (doing) sth
• be f__ __ __ of sth
• be k__ __ __ on sth
• e __ __ __ __ (doing) sth
• be a big f __ __ of sth

Describing a style of clothing

• look s__ __ __t and s__ __ __ __ __h
• dress c__ __ __ __ __ __y
• have a good s__n__ __ of style
• put on clothes s__ __t__ __ __e for the occasion

Describing personality

• be a__v__n__u__ __u __ and c__ __ __t__v__
• come across as m__t__r__ and r__l__ __b__ __
• be k__n__ and c__r__ __g
• seem f__i__n__ __y and e__ __y- g__ __ __g
• give the impression of being d__n__ __ __c and o__ __g__i__g
• be considered h__ __ __-w__ __k__ __g

Guaranteeing something

• be p__s__t__ __e that …
• a__ __ __r__ sb that …

Популярні дописи з цього блогу

Special Introductory Verbs

Focus 3. Unit 6. Resources 31-36

Listening: Friends